Saturday, October 18, 2008

Something to Make You Laugh.... Kind Of

Yesterday was quite the eventful day. Thursday night I was helping Jess carry in the top (light) part of the counter top. It was a very big piece so I couldn't really see where my feet were as I was walking. We were on the sidewalk going towards the front door when my right foot went off the sidewalk and jerked inward (not the funny part). I proceeded to fall onto the sidewalk hitting my knee and landing on my bottom. Thankfully I didn't land on my stomach! So onto the funny part... When I was finally able to try to get up with Jess' help Mattie noticed something on my bottom that I must have fallen on. I thought it was probably a wet leaf or something. She brushed it off and it stuck to her hand. It was a big slug that I squished with my bottom when I fell. Nice. So Mattie started to freak out and flung the squished slug off of her hand and somehow it shot right up the sleeve of my sweatshirt! So I start pulling up my sleeve to get this gross slug off of my arm. I fling it back to the ground and proceed to hop into the house to the couch. Jess had to lay out one of his work sweatshirts for me to sit on so I wouldn't get slug guts on my couch. Anyway, I could not walk or put any pressure on my right foot at all. The outside of my ankle started to swell and got quite large and very painful. I put it up and iced it for about an hour then went to bed with my foot elevated on two pillows. The next morning it was still huge and I couldn't walk on it at all. I ended up at the doctor's office. My left leg is getting quite a work out at this point with all of the hopping. I hopped into the office. The Dr. looked at it and thought there was a fracture because it was so big and very tender. She said I definately needed an x-ray. So she brings in a wheelchair (talk about feeling crippled!) and I'm off to the imaging center for an x-ray. I was actually very thankful for the wheelchair after all the hopping!

Being pregnant, I was a little worried about the x-ray so they only did two pictures instead of three and the x-ray tech covered me with like FOUR lead jackets just to be safe. To my surprise there were no fractures! Thank God. No cast for 6 weeks! The Dr. did say that some sprangs are worse than fractures so don't think of it as JUST a fracture. I'm not able to put any weight on it for two days, then I have to wear an air cast. I will be getting it checked again on Friday.

The timing couldn't be worse for this to happen. I was supposed to drive on Morgan's first field trip yesterday. She was very sad that her mommy couldn't be there, but she ended up going and having a great time anyway, thank God! We also had a wedding to go to yesterday. A friend I grew up with got married yesterday and I missed her bridal shower because it happened on the day we were moving. I really wanted to be at the wedding. So, I ended up going to just the reception on crutches. Can I just say that I HATE crutches! My arms are SO sore underneath and even my palms from where you hold onto the crutches are all red and feel bruised. My legs are sore from hopping etc.. (I'm just venting a little bit!)

Anyway, I woke up this morning and the swelling has gone down a little bit. I still can't put any weight on it yet. I'm not supposed to even try until tomorrow. I really don't know how people go for weeks on crutches. I definately have a higher respect for them though!

Jess has been a really great help, sometimes with a good attitude and sometimes not. He had to bring Mattie to school yesterday, then pick up his worker, then back home to pick Morgan up and bring her to school. Then back home to bring me to the Dr. and x-rayed, back to the Dr. then to the medical supply store to get the crutches, back home for a late lunch, then off to pick up Mattie, then the wedding! What a crazy day! God bless him.

He said he wishes he had my "fall" on tape because it was so akward. Then the whole slug thing. Then to see me hopping and sometimes crawling up the stairs. I think about it and laugh too. The fall must have looked pretty funny, even though it didn't feel funny!

Jess and I have a date night tonight. We will probably try to find flooring for the kitchen and get some dinner, if I'm up for it.

Anyway, I'm hoping and praying for a quick recovery! I'm too busy to be crippled!!

1 comment:

Mockabee Seven said...

Holy cow. How annoying! What a bogus thing to happen right now. Sorry that you're going through that. I wish I could be there to help! Get well soon. xoxo

ps-can totally picture the slug scenario, though. What girls!