Saturday, July 10, 2010

Our First Harvest

After what seemed to be several MONTHS of waiting, yesterday we picked our first veggie from our garden! A banana pepper! Of course the girls fought over who got to pick it. They finally agreed that Mattie would pick it. Then they started fighting over who would get to eat it. They finally agreed that Morgan would eat the bottom half and Mattie would eat the top half. Few!


It hasn't rained here in almost two weeks, which is pretty unusual. We got all ready to go outside to pick the pepper and when we stepped out the door we heard the falling rain drops. So, we turned around and went inside to get our umbrellas. A little rain wasn't going to stop us and boy did we need it!
The girls enjoyed eating our first veggie and they can't wait to pick more! Jess said that I should pickle them......um I have absolutely no clue how to do that. I guess I should learn how to do some canning etc.... We will be getting a LOT of tomatoes when they ripen.

I have to remember to get bigger tomato cages for next year. I didn't know how tall grape tomato plants get! They are growing WAY over the cages I bought. We are going to have to tie them up before they end up breaking. This is such a learning process, but lots of fun!

Jess mowed the lawn today and Dylan couldn't wait to get on the tractor with him. He would rather play in the shed than swing on his swing or play on the play set. He always runs right to the push mower and tries to push it. He LOVES Jess' tools. He kept finding Jess' screwdrivers and holding them ALL DAY LONG. We didn't think that him running around with a screwdriver in each hand was very safe, so Jess made a trip to the toy store to get him his own little tool set. He now has his own two screwdrivers that he holds on to most of the day. He's all boy that's for sure!


3 comments:

Bobbi Jo said...

Yay for Harvest!

Cindy said...

It looks really, really good! Good for you. It is pretty easy to pickle peppers. A little vinegar, some garlic, salt and pepper, lid it up and ta-da..... a few weeks later.... pickled peppers :)

You guys are doing great.

Missy said...

Thanks Cindy! I'm going to try it!